Lest you think it is a kid-only type bread/cake, rest assured, my husbands co-workers,the firefighters of Elizabeth, NJ, have also declared this a winner. If it meets their approval, you know it's gotta be worth a shot!!
Chipper Pumpkin Loaf
Makes 1 loaf or 3 mini loaves
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves(I omitted)
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter-at room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup cooked pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I used semisweet)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350.Grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
Combine dry ingredients. Cream butter and sugar and then blend in the eggs. Add dry ingredients alternately with the pumpkin, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
Stir in chocolate chips and half the nuts.
Turn into loaf pan and sprinkle with remaining nuts. Bake about 70 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and drizzle with the yummy glaze! Let stand about 6 hours before slicing.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (I actually used almost 2 tablespoons to get the desired consistency)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
This is a perfect addition to Holiday trays. They also make adorable mini loaves, so pretty and festive.Please excuse the quality of the picture; my photography is a work in progress also.